Davies Bakery’s part in
Australia’s baking history
The DAVIES BAKERY tradition began in 1880. Today we are 5th generation bakers, with over 130 years of experience.
In 1880 JOHN DAVIES began by delivering bread by day and learning to bake at night from German baker, Mr Louis Trobler, at Talbot near Ballarat during the gold rush era. In 1885, when Mr Trobler retired, JOHN DAVIES was able to buy the bakery. Gold around Talbot declined and in 1894 John sold the business and moved to Ballarat, where he purchased a bakery in Eureka St. The bakery grew and was run by successive generations- including Fred Davies (2nd generation)- who was a founding member of the “Victorian Association of Bakers” and was the inaugural president for 5 years. Davies bakery was then sold to an international flour milling and baking company in 1962.
John & Emilie Davies
Fred & Alice Davies
Lloyd and Gwen Davies
Rob & Glenda Davies
Matthew & Melissa Davies
The current DAVIES generation, after working for the same company, decided to acquire their own business by purchasing a bakery in Brunswick St Fitzroy in 1994. This expanded to a factory in Thomastown in 1997 and again expanded to a larger factory in Broadmeadows in 2007.
In 2015, Robert Davies (4th generation) was inducted into the Australian society of baking’s “Hall of Fame”- one of only 9 people, in it’s 35 year history.
John Davies began working for a bakery in Talbot Victoria.
John Davies bought the bakery from a retiring German baker, Mr. Louis Trobler.
John Davies sold this Talbot bakery and bought a bakery in Ballarat in Eureka St.
The Bakery was passed onto Fred “F.T.” Davies (John Davies’ son) who became a founding member & president of the Victorian Association of Bakers.
Fred Davies then passed the bakery onto his 3 sons Jack, Lloyd and Fred.
The sons sell the bakery to an international milling business.
Robert Davies (Lloyd’s son) worked for this international milling business with a dream to one day repeat John Davies path.
Robert and Glenda Davies bought a bakery in Brunswick St, Fitzroy.
Their son, Matthew, invested in the business and joined them less than a year later.